- Font size
Area 1：Interactive Exhibition
In 1895, Taiwan officially became colony of Japan. Establishing a railway network connecting between north and south was the priority for the Japanese colonial government who wished to gain full control of the island. Takao Temporary Station, the first train station in Kaohsiung established in 1900, with the first section of the railway in Southern Taiwan (Takao to Tainan) beginning services as well.
Station at the Southern End
In 1908, when the North-South Railway became fully operational, Takao Station moved to south where Hamasen located to play a crucial role as the southern terminal station of the North-South Railway network.
Coconut palm trees in front of the station were planted by Japanese to create the atmosphere of the South. Those trees were representative of the Takao Station. (Courtesy of Kaohsiung Museum of History)